Tuesday, September 16, 2014

4 days until my due date

There are only 4 days left until my due date. I was fine waiting for the baby's arrival until yesterday. With plenty of school work to do I wasn't trying to rush labor. Yesterday changed my mind completely.
Yesterday, all of a sudden I started having horribly painful contractions. For about an hour I locked myself in the bathroom wondering if I was in labor or getting sick. Rocking back and forth in pain I tried to stay calm. My oldest was at preschool and my youngest was in the hallway playing with our dog. The pain was so intense that I threw up. Quickly I texted my neighbor friend to please pick my son up from school because I was in a lot of pain and knew I wouldn't be able to drive. Then I ran to unlock the front door so that she could get in. The pain intensified and I jumped in the bathtub to run warm water over my stomach, anything for a little bit of relief. Soon my friend came in, got my kids in the car and rushed us all to the hospital. On the drive there we got caught behind a slow moving semi truck, which spiked my anxiety. She stopped at the front of the emergency room so that I could hop out while she parked the car with the kids. I hobbled uncomfortably inside. As soon as the ladies at the desk saw my face they jumped up. I mustered out, "I think I'm having a baby."
I was taken immediately to Labor and Delivery, changed into a gown and hooked up to monitors to watch my contractions and the baby's heartbeat. When they checked for dilation I was only at 1 cm. A little while later the pain was better so they allowed me to walk the halls. My parents came to help with the kids and a couple hours in they checked me again. I was disappointed to learn that I was still at 1 cm. My contractions were still coming, 3 about every 15 minutes so they allowed me to stay another 2 hours to see if my body was progressing. Unfortunately the final time the nurse checked for dilation I was still at only 1 cm. Still in pain and still contracting they sent me home but gave me a mild muscle relaxer to help me sleep through the night.
The medicine helped a little, but regardless I was awoken about every 30 minutes with pain. This morning I woke up in pain so I ran a warm bath. Throughout the day I was still contracting. I tried to nap, got some homework done and made some burritos to store in the freezer for after baby comes. I'm about to go to sleep now and the contractions are painless. I'm not going to lie. I'm frustrated and scared. Frustrated because I had all that pain and didn't dilate and scared for it all to happen again.
I guess I just have to keep my eye on the prize, my baby girl, and get some sleep. I never know what tomorrow brings, maybe tomorrow will be her birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment