Monday, September 8, 2014

Being A Stay At Home Mom & College Student

Being a stay at home mom is not for everyone. Having worked full-time previously and now experiencing being at home all the time, I am struggling with balancing adult and child time. A few years ago when I worked full-time outside of the home I had plenty of adult interaction in the workplace.  Now seeing as I am a stay at home mom there is no daily reason for me to leave the house to socialize with other adults. Socializing takes an extra effort now, and quite honestly sometimes I'm just too worn out. 
Being slightly introverted means that I have to be careful not to completely isolate myself from the real world because to be honest it doesn't bother me to not leave the house everyday. Social media and texting keep me connected to friends and family on a daily basis. Sometimes that's enough for me. 
Add college courses, pregnancy, puppy and you have one stressed out momma at times.  My days consist of taking care of the needs of a 4 year old boy, 2.5 year old girl, 8 month old puppy, my husband and myself. I'm not going to lie, everyday isn't easy. Juggling it all lately has been difficult because I'm exhausted and in pain from pregnancy. 

When my college courses are in full swing I spend my mornings parked at the dining room table surrounded by my laptop and textbooks. I make the kids breakfast and let them watch cartoons while I read my textbooks. Then throughout the day I trade off between playing with the kids, reading/studying, cooking meals, cleaning up after meals, laundry, running errands, dropping off/picking up 4 year old from school, doctor appointments, sports, playing with dog, more homework, getting snacks/drinks, breaking up fights and more. 
My goal is to be the best mom I can be to my kids and to get great grades in all my college courses. Once I'm finished with my bachelors degree in a couple years I'll rejoin the workforce. By then my oldest two will be in school all day and only one will need daycare. Sometimes I really miss going to work 5 days a week and being around adults all day. Then I remember how much I missed my son while I was at work and how now I'm doing what is best for family and myself. Raising my children and furthering my education is what is important right now. As stressful as it can be I honestly couldn't imagine my life any different right now. In 50 years I will be able to look back and remember all the moments that I got to witness first hand with my kids. Those future memories I wouldn't trade for the best career in the world. 


Although this pic describes me perfectly when I do get the opportunity to leave the house kid-free: 

No comments:

Post a Comment